We hope your submissions for the NZDRS Chamber Music Composition Competition are going well! Here are a couple of notes that might help you with your composition.
You can find a guideline of the Grade Five level for oboe here, and a guideline of the Grade Five level for bassoon here.
Please note the pitch parameters for each composition are:
- [Oboe] B (below middle C) - Eb"
- [Bassoon] Low Bb - G (above middle C)
And a few more parameters:
- Key signatures may be up to 3 sharps or 3 flats
- Accidentals can be used but avoid too many different ones
- For tonguing, the maximum speed is semiquavers at crotchet = 80, but this should be repeated notes or easy patterns at this speed
- NB: Exam scale speeds at this level are crotchet = 84, playing quavers
Make sure that that the instruments are not all playing all of the time. A bar rest here and there is essential.
Hope to see your submissions in soon!